- Workshops & Courses
- Course Categories:
- Workshop Schedule
- SEI Solar Professionals Certificate Program
- Online Training
- Solar Training - Electric
- Solar Training - Hands-On Labs
- Solar Training - Thermal
- Cursos en español
- Micro Hydro Training
- Continuing Education Courses
- International Rural Development
- Programa Hispano
- More Information:
- NABCEP Certification
- Workshop Policies
- Business Services
- Outreach Programs
- SEI Bookstore
- About SEI
- Contact Us
Lab Facility and Campus Location:
Solar Energy International Campus
39845 Mathews Lane
Paonia, CO 81428
For information about our world class Lab Facility click here.
138 Grand Ave.
Paonia, CO 81428
SEI's classroom portions will be held approximately 1 mile from the SEI’s eco-campus in downtown Paonia at 138 Grand Ave. Grand Avenue is Paonia’s main street, in the central business district, close to the intersection of Grand Ave and 2nd St. It’s easy to find, located between Ollie’s Ice Cream and the Glennie Coombe Gallery. The front door opens to a long hall. On the left is the gallery and on your right is Ollie’s. The classroom is at the end of the hall on the right. During breaks students can visit Ollie’s Ice Cream or check out the gallery. The post office is on the same block. Off-street parking is available in the alley behind Grand Ave, between 2nd and 3rd Street.
For more information about Paonia and the North Fork Valley, click here:
For information about Delta County (Paonia), visit: www.deltacountycolorado.com/
Transportation and Travel:
Closest Airports:We have a small airport in Paonia if you have your own plane: www.airnav.com/airport/7VAttention! If you plan to fly to Paonia for your class, please read the following carefully:
Denver International Airport is 5 hours from Paonia by car. Salt Lake City Airport is approx. 6 hours from Paonia by car. You can take a smaller plane to either Grand Junction or Montrose airports, which bring you closer to Paonia, but you are still 1-1.5 hours away. AIRPORT SHUTTLES are expensive. You need to arrange transportation BEFORE you arrive at an airport. Here are your choices:
1. Rent a car. Make sure the car rental will be available if your plane arrives later in the evening. Also, you need a credit card for car rental, a debit card can be used but is problematic. Advantages of renting a car: you have transportation all week while in Paonia. SEI Discounts on Rental cars:
AVIS/BUDGET: SEI (and SEI students/friends) receive between 5% and up to 25% off all rental cars.
Use this: Y378524
ENTERPRISE: 5% off all rentals outside Colorado and special prices within Colorado.
If booking over the phone, account number is L12A513, which will pull up the special pricing schedule. If booking online, put account number in box "Optional: Coupon, Customer, or Corporate number". Password is SOL.
International students can rent cars--they have to present their driver's license from their home. A passport will not work, it must be a driver's license.
2. USE the SEI Ride Board to connect with other students who may be coming in to the airport around the same time and share an airport shuttle or a taxi. Within 5 to 6 business days, you will receive information on how to log in to SEI's Online Alumni and Career Center, where you will be able to access the SEI Ride Share Board.
3. Call one of the following people to pick you up and take you back to Paonia. These ladies are locals, and generally charge $100 to pick you up and bring you to Paonia. They are also on SEI's Lodging List.
Sara Stevens, 970-527-4346 or 970-201-5238
Lynn Huey, 970-527-3773
Loretta Small, 970-527-6528 or 729-680-3736
Sylvia Hauptman, 970-527-4055 or 303-882-2545
- Airport shuttles: Also, try Telluride Express at 888-212-8294 for airport pickup at either Montrose or Grand Junction airport locations, or American Spirit Shuttle at 970-523-7662 or http://www.americanspiritshuttle.net/.
Bicycles: Once in Paonia, students can use bicycles available at SEI.
Driving: Paonia is 1.5 hours from Grand Junction taking Hwy. 50 or 2 hours from Glenwood Springs (head towards Aspen, then take Hwy. 133 over McClure Pass)
Bus Stations: There is a Greyhound Station at 230 S. 5th St. in Grand Junction, CO, which is approximately 70 miles from the classroom. You can take the bus to the City of Delta, approx. 40 minutes from Paonia, but you will need to arrange transportation from there to Paonia.
Train Stations: There is also an Amtrak Station at 413 7th St, Glenwood Springs, CO, which is approximately 70 miles from the classroom, and a station at 339 South 1st Street in Grand Junction, CO, which is approximately 70 miles from the classroom. You will need to arrange transportation from either of those locations to Paonia.
There is no lodging or camping available on SEI's campus. The Paonia local lodging list is included as an attachment on your workshop confirmation email upon registration. This list contains commercial establishments plus rooms in local homes available for rent and camping options. You can also visit this website: www.deltacountycolorado.com/
Food: There are many wonderful restaurants in Paonia. For a listing of restaurants in Paonia and the surrounding area click here.
Weather: The weather in Paonia in the summer should be in the 80s or 90s during the day and then drop into the 50s or 60s at night. Though Paonia is semi-arid, there's always the possibility of rain, especially in early July and September. For a more detailed look at the weather, go to weather.com.
What to Bring:
Please bring the following to the PV, Wind and Microhydro Workshops:
Pen and pencil
Paper for note taking
A calculator (with trig functions for Advanced)
Black, red and green colored pencils for schematics
SEI will provide hard hats and safety glasses for the lab classes, however students are encouraged to bring their own to ensure comfort and proper fit. Please carefully read your detailed email confirmation that you receive(d) upon registration for more information.