- Workshops & Courses
- Course Categories:
- Workshop Schedule
- SEI Solar Professionals Certificate Program
- Online Training
- Solar Training - Electric
- Solar Training - Hands-On Labs
- Solar Training - Thermal
- Programa Hispano
- Cursos en español
- Micro Hydro Training
- Continuing Education Courses
- International Rural Development
- More Information:
- NABCEP Certification
- Workshop Policies
- Business Services
- Outreach Programs
- APSA News and Announcements
- Solar in the Schools
- International Program
- Native American Program
- SEI Veterans & Active Duty Military Program
- SEI Bookstore
- About SEI
- Contact Us
Solar Professionals Academy of the Americas
LEARN ● SHARE ● LEVERAGE ● MAXIMIZE
The Solar Professionals’ Academy of the Americas (SPAA) will train 50 people, representing countries, communities, and organizations throughout Central America and Mexico to design, install and maintain solar PV systems and to successfully launch and administer businesses in this critically important industry. This will be achieved through online and in-person classroom and lab-based hands-on trainings which will train the selected participants in microenterprise and clean energy technology. SPAA will mobilize the private sector throughout Central America by giving the participants a strong foundation in business planning and entrepreneurship with hands-on experience in the solar PV industry. Building relationships and networks with other participants in this program will be encouraged and supported with information on resources for such networks. Participants will be chosen through an application process (see below for details).
Please be sure to read the entire program overview and requirements before applying.
Thank you for your interest in the Academia de Profesionales Solares de las Americas. The application period for this program has ended. If you are interested in future training opportunities or have questions about the program please email firstname.lastname@example.org
SPAA supports the latest initiative of the US State Department, the Energy and Climate Partnership of the Americas: Connecting the Americas 2022 by training a workforce able to increase universal access to electricity through renewable energy development, supplying renewable/clean sources of power generation to the market.
SPAA will leverage Solar Energy International’s (SEI) large pool of subject matter experts and trainers to bring a quality training program, hands-on experience, and entrepreneurial mentoring to prospective clean energy practitioners throughout Central America.
Mandatory Core SEI Training Component- all taught in Spanish:
- FV101: Solar Electric Design and Installation (Grid-Direct) (Online)
July 22 - September 1, 2013
- FV203 PREP: Solar Electric Design and Installation (Battery-Based) (Online)
September 23 - October 19, 2013
- FV204L: Solar Electric Lab Week and Micro-Enterprises & Entrepreneurship (In Costa Rica)
2 sessions: November 4 - 9 or November 11 - 16, 2013
Participants accepted into the program will be required to complete both FV101 and FV203 PREP online prior to the in-person class (FV204L) being taught at EARTH University - La Flor in Liberia, Guanacaste, Costa Rica in November 2013 (travel stipend, food and lodging provided)
SPAA Program Application and AdmissionsThe SPAA is a selective admissions program to help ensure the success of participants and provide a quality workforce for the Central American solar industry. The following are a list of requirements for qualified candidates:
- You must be a citizen of one of the following countries: Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama, or Belize* (all trainings are conducted in Spanish).
- Access to a reliable high-speed internet connection (see computer requirements below)
- Ability to take 9 weeks of online instruction (approximately 8 - 12 hours per week)
- Ability to travel to EARTH University - La Flor in Costa Rica in November for a week of hands-on training (travel stipend provided)
- Desire to work in the renewable energy industry or in renewable energy projects in Central America
SEI Solar Professionals Academy of the Americas Program Benefits
The group of SPAA participants will have time to interact and get to know one another throughout the week. The participants will be encouraged to discuss their business plans with each other and to develop plans for strengthening solar energy businesses, awareness, education and opportunities throughout Central America once they return home.
- SPAA Solar Professionals Toolkit, which includes common tools used in the solar industry
- Solar industry specific career counseling and services
- A SPAA Certificate of program completion, from both ECPA and the leading solar training organization in the industry - Solar Energy International - upon successful completion of the program
- Access to premium employment posting opportunities within the SEI Online Career Center and other premium online career resources
- Use of the SPAA Seal & individual Certificate Number upon successful completion of program (for business cards, website, etc)
- Optional listing of your bio & picture on the SPAA Certificate Program webpage
- Graduation announcement in SEI's monthly e-newsletter and ECPA website
The program is funded by ECPA and Solar Energy International. However, certain administrative costs are the responsibility of the participant.
- Participants must pay a $150 administration fee for the 2 online courses ($75 per course)
- Participants must make travel arrangements to Costa Rica for the hands-on training. A $200 travel stipend is provided. Any travel costs that exceed $200 are the responsibility of the participant.
- All food and lodging in Costa Rica is covered. Not covered are tips, extra spending money, and alcoholic beverages.
- If participants would like the Manual Fotovoltaico, which complements the courses, but is not necessary to complete the courses, it can be purchased at a wholesale price of $30.
- PC (Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7)
- Mac (10.4 and later)
- 128 MB of RAM2 GB of free disk space
- Sound card with speakers (for courses with multimedia)
- Ethernet or Wireless network card (for high-speed Internet connection) or 56K modem (for dial-up Internet connection)
- T1, DSL, Cable, or Satellite high-speed connection (56K dial-up will work, but the online course system will run slowly).
- Java JRE plugin (for Live Office Hours Webinars and more)
- Microsoft Office Viewers and File Converters (for viewing and printing Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Visio files)
- Free Open Source Office Suite(for viewing and printing Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Visio files)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (for viewing and printing PDF files)
- RealPlayer(for viewing streaming video or listening to streaming audio clips)
- QuickTime (for viewing QuickTime video)
- Flash Player (for viewing animations or using interactive content)
- Shockwave Player (for viewing animations or using interactive content)
- Windows Media Player (for viewing streaming video or listening to streaming audio clips)
Valid Email Address
- Preferred: Latest versions of Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari