The first week of the course provides an overview of the three basic PV system applications, primarily focusing on grid-direct systems. The goal of this week is to create a fundamental understanding of the core concepts necessary to work with all PV systems, including: system components, site analysis, PV module criteria, mounting solutions, safety, and commissioning. The course will also cover the basics of sizing a grid-direct system, wire sizing, overcurrent protection, and grounding.
ADVANCED PV SYSTEM DESIGN
The second part of the course focuses on commercial-scale system design though the design parameters, and best practices are applicable to all types and sizes of PV installations.
Detailed lessons address:
- Requirements for disconnects
- Overcurrent protection and wire sizing
- Interconnection requirements and calculations
- Grounding and ground faults
- Calculations for system sizing, inverter selection, and electrical configuration
- Ground and roof mounting
- Commissioning and performance analysis procedures