what you will learn
- Introduction to O&M and preventative and reactive maintenance plans and activities
- Risks, costs, and benefits of a well-structured O&M plan
- Safety procedures and PPE requirements for O&M technicians
- Importance of OSHA and NFPA 70E training
- How to create electrically safe work environments and appropriate lock-out/tag-out (LOTO) procedures
- Field procedures and tests required during installation, start up, and for system performance evaluation
- Calculations to determine expected voltage and current, and how to estimate power output based on system configuration and environmental conditions
- Procedures when expected production or output does not match measured values
- Appropriate requirements for meters, tools, and other equipment used in O&M activities; safe practices for using digital multimeters
- Theory, procedures, and processes behind insulation resistance testing (‘Meggering’ or IRT), I-V curve tracing, infrared cameras and thermal imaging, and other tools of the trade
- How to analyze test results to determine performance, compare baseline data, and pinpoint system issues
- Common safety protocols and commissioning standards
- Steps to commission PV systems
- Typical inspection requirements for preventative maintenance inspections
- Common data acquisition systems (DAS) equipment and hardware
- How to use DAS to benefit O&M team
- Methods for locating and troubleshooting common PV array and system faults using appropriate methodologies and testing tools
- Common problems found on AC side and DC side of the system
- How to identify and locate ground-faults and arc-faults
- Steps for testing and troubleshooting mis-wired PV systems
Check out the SEI Podcast Series regarding this training topic: Tools and Techniques for Solar PV Operations and Maintenance.
Click here for Computer & Software Requirements for online courses.
PREREQUISITE COURSES: Before participating in the PVOL350 course, students are required to complete PV101/PVOL101, an equivalent course from another organization, or demonstrate field experience and pass a placement quiz. Please contact [email protected] if you feel you are qualified to skip the prerequisites for PVOL350.
To view our in-person PV351L Tools and Techniques for Operation and Maintenance Lab Week, please click here.